The term Mining means “the process or industry of obtaining coal or other minerals from a mine” and engineering refers to the “branch of science deals with the design, building, and use of engines, machines, and structures”
Mining engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the identification, extraction, production, and processing of valuable minerals from a naturally occurring environment. An engineering discipline applies science and technology to the extraction of minerals from the earth. Mining engineering is associated with many other disciplines, such as mineral processing, Exploration, Excavation, geology, and metallurgy, geotechnical engineering and surveying.
The role of mining engineer starts from the discovery of mineral resources, processing of mineral commodities, designing and construction of mines, controlling mining operations and transportation of minerals. They are not only concerned about extracting minerals from the environment but also have the responsibility to keep surroundings safe from the wastes and pollution occurred during the process of mineral extraction.
Mining Engineering courses are available at various levels that include
• Diploma Courses in Mining and Mine Surveying Engineering – 3 years course
Criteria Eligibility– Qualifying examination should be a 10th/equivalent exam with a minimum of 50% marks.
• B.E./B.Tech in Mining Engineering – 4 Years course
Eligibility Criteria – Minimum educational qualification of 10+2 from the recognized educational board with at least 50% marks passed with PCM as the compulsory subjects.
• ME/ M.Tech in Mining Engineering – 2 Years course
Eligibility Criteria – After completion of B.E/B. Tech in the relevant discipline, you are eligible for PG courses.
• "X” as a Service: Whether it’s Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Hardware as a Service (HaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), or a number of other X-aaS, your company is losing ground if it isn’t already using one of these technologies or in the process of moving to one.
• Internet of Things (IoT): Your Company has been involved in the “Internet of Things” for a long time, albeit perhaps under a variety of different names, such as process control technologies, instrument controls or operations technology. It will improve processes, reduce your cost structure and provide some much-needed visibility and insight into where you might be wasting time and money.
• Data Analytics Tools: As you might expect, these tools used to be very expensive and required steep learning curves. Today’s dashboards or data discovery tools are now available as a SaaS, meaning companies can get their feet wet in data analytics at a low investment threshold.
• Drones: Mining and metals companies are typically located in some of the more remote areas of the world. Companies will spend a large amount of capital to build infrastructure, such as roads, to enable manual inspection of pipelines or to provide access for staff to collect water samples at various outfalls for environmental reporting purposes.
Mining engineers have numerous career options. Arab countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, and the UK provide profitable career opportunities to the eligible candidates.
In Mining engineering, there are enormous job opportunities are available in the public sector or government organizations. Career scope in the field of teaching is also bright for candidates having a master’s degree in mining engineering.
Top companies that recruit students in the field of mining engineering:
• The Indian Bureau of Mines
• Geological Survey of India
• Neyvelli Lignite Corporation
• Essel Mining & Industries Ltd.
• Hindustan Zinc Limited
• Adani Mining Pvt. Ltd.
• Arcelor Mittal
• Bharat Forge Limited
• Cairn Energy
• Coal India Ltd.
• Damodar Valley Corporation
There is a lucrative pay in the field of mining engineering. In India, they will receive an average salary of 6 to 8 lacs per year. Your salary will also depend on your skills and experience, location and the organization you are working for. In the US, the mean yearly salary of mining engineers is $90,070.
• Indian School of Mines (ISM) , Dhanbad
• Indian Institute of Technology, BHU-Varanasi, Varanasi
• Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT Kharagpur), Kharagpur
• Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
• Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati